To make your stay at Tara more comfortable, you should bring the following items in a single suitcase:
- Appropriate casual clothing (Closed toe shoes are required for participation in equine therapy)
- Shower shoes (flip flops)
- Closed-toe shoes (for recreation & equine therapy)
- Cash (recommended not to exceed $50) for incidentals
- 12 step literature (literature can also be obtained at the facility)
- Photo Identification
- Insurance Card
- Paper, stamps and envelopes
- Laundry Detergent (supplies are also available for purchase)
- Pre-Paid calling card
- All current medications with refills and/or written prescriptions
- Non-aerosol toiletries (Soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, solid deodorant, tooth paste, and alcohol free mouth wash, etc.)
- Sodas and Snacks (one bag)
- Notebook and pen
- Cell phones
- Valuable Jewelry
- Electronic Watchs (ie. Apple, Fitbit, etc…)
- Revealing clothing, clothing with alcohol, drug or sexually suggestive messages
- Radio, iPod, camera, recreational reading material, laptop
- No materials pertaining to hobbies, i.e. musical instruments, knitting, drawing, etc.
- Nail polish or polish remover
- No aerosol products of any kind
- Colognes, perfumes or any products containing alcohol
- Essential Oils
- Blankets, pillows, or other types of bedding
- Towels and wash cloths
- Loose tobacco and rolling papers
- Electronic Cigarettes
Yes. Mail is distributed Monday through Friday. You will be required to open all packages in the presence of a staff member and they will be searched for contraband. Your family may send mail to your attention at:
Tara Treatment Center 6231 South U.S. Highway 31, Franklin, Indiana 46131
Yes, but phone calls are limited and based upon a tier system. Individuals gain increased phone privileges as they progress through treatment.
Use of the television and radio are permitted at designated times.
Cell phones are not permitted while in the Residential Program.
You may bring any literature pertaining to the 12-steps. You may also bring a Bible if you choose. No other reading material is permitted unless authorized by your counselor.
We do not sell cigarettes at Tara, but family members or other visitors can bring them to you.
Smoking is permitted in designated areas only.
We recommend having no more than $50 for incidental purchases.
Visitation is every-other Saturday afternoon. All visitors are required to attend the Family Education Program prior to visiting with their loved one. If you have signed a release of information for an individual they may call your counselor. However, counselors facilitate sessions most of the day and a message may need to be left requesting a return call.
The average length of stay is 4-6 weeks. However, we do offer programs that extend beyond that if needed.